About the month of Shawwal : Is the tenth month of the Islamic Calendar.
Meaning of the word Shawwal: Uplift/breakage. Before Islam, Arabs believed that any marriage held in Shawwal would always turn out to be unsuccessful. Hence, the month deprived the above mentioned meanings, however the superstitious belief was later abolished.
The month Shawwal: From the months of Hajj, Shawwal is the first of them. The first day of Shawwal is Eidul Fitr and also the day when sins are forgiven.
Six fasts of Shawwal: In the month of Shawwal it is Sunnah to keep six fasts, as narrated in the following Hadith by Abu Ayyub Ansari that Rasulullah has said, “If one throughout his life keeps the fasts of Ramadan and keeps six consecutive fasts in Shawwal it will be as though he has kept a whole life time of fasts, and if one keeps the six consecutive fasts for one Shawwal month it will be as though he has observed fast all year round.”
Events which took place in Shawwal:
1) Hadhrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah was born in Shawwal four years after Prophet hood which is nine years before Hijraah.
2) Hadhrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah was married in this month ten years after Prophet hood which is three years before Hijraah.
3) The fight between Banu Qaynaqaa took place between the battle of Badr and Uhud (Shawwal 2 A.H. after Hijraah.)
4) The battle of Uhud also took place in Shawwal, three years after Hijraah.
5) Hadhrat Hussain the grandson of Rasulullah (son of Hadhrat Fatimah was born in the month of Shawwal four years after Hijraah.
6) The Holy Prophet married Hadhrat Umme Salamah in Shawwal in the fourth year after Hijraah.
7) Hadhrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah’s mother passed away in 5 A.H.
8) The Holy Prophet’s uncle Abu Talib departed from this world during the middle of Shawwal in the year 5 A.H.
9) Imam Bukhari (R.A.) was born on a Friday of Shawwal in the year 194 A.H.